Saturday, November 23, 2013

To the top of the world I shall climb: art in Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco (1)

I had never seen a carousel so big as in Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco. It stood silent, closed for maintenance and making a plea to people: This carousel is 100 years old. Let us help it live another 100 years. I walked around it, observing horses, camels and lions, I imagined it moving full of happy children and could feel the aura. Childrens' world is a point of reference for Yerba Buena Gardens. Yet, in wandering under early November noon sunshine all around this park, I could not but stop, stand, feel and interpret things in front of two pieces of art.
The title of my post comes from a Greek verse: I will climb all the way up to the top of the world (στην κορφή του κόσμου θ΄ανέβω ψηλά). It was my first reaction to the first piece of art. It is called: URGE. The visitor comes across the globe with all continents on it. On top of the globe, literally speaking, there stands a man.  Both hands leaning forward, all fingers are so bent as  to face the palms and his whole body too. It is the gesture of urge: come, join me to the top of the world.
The whole piece of art is made of different materials and stands by a tree. Light and shadow interplay is magnificent at noon time- early afternoon. The composure of the surrounding area contributes to the promotion of the message and it captures all attention. One can easily forget that he walks in San Francisco and is surrounded by amorphous buildings....






No comments:

Post a Comment