Friday, June 7, 2013

June gloom

Weather in Los Angeles is currently coined as June gloom. Mornings are gloomy and they give on to sunshine in the afternoon-even though not always. Here is a photograph I took just a couple of hours ago. Gloominess, if I am allowed to use such a term, is more than just weather conditions: it is about unfufilled expectations of bright, sunny days. It is about losing the sense of seasons and, furthermore, it is about projecting myself to autumn or winter. Most of all, it is about feeling displaced: I feel as if I live in Scotland. The photograph below, which I took in  late June 2010 and shows Edinburgh, also shows "classic" weather in Scotland during summer. In terms of weather expectations being fulfilled, Edinburgh makes me feel "at home" with June gloom.....

2 comments:

  1. I hope Scotland holds better memories for you than gloomy weather dearest Effie! Although you may be interested to know that the Scots are often described as 'gloomy' people themselves! Wonderful website, I'm so glad I can now follow your musings online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's sunshine you want, come to Phoenix. Plenty of it here, though you also get to deal with temps 110+. Then of course you can always go to a water park or river to cool off, something you couldn't do in the North Sea unless you wanted to freeze appendages off (at least in May it was that way).

    ReplyDelete