Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Photo essays on Halloween (5): R. I. P

  Halloween is only a few hours away and, on the one hand people are shopping and preparing for the "trick or treat" game, while, on the other stores are rushing to remove all  Halloween paraphernalia and replace them with Christmas decoration.
 Within the framework of time, let me give some more aspects of decoration for this feast.  My guide, J. Santino  talks about representations of death and underworld. Walking around West Los Angeles avenues I have seen that this is the most famous topic of and for decoration.  Most front garden and front doors are decorated with such a wide range of objects that is not easy to represent in a few posts here. So I shall limit myself to some photographs which cover the following views: a1) cardboard whole skeletons (whether in stores or gardens or pavement trees)   a2) skeletons covered in cloth b) human skeleton parts scattered here and there or hanging from trees c)the most famous R.I.P ,which apparently stands for: rest in pieces. The R..I.P inscription is oftentimes replaced by some verses.
Any observations on the carnivalesque as analysed by M.Bakhtin and meaning the turning of world upside down are more than successfully applied in this feast....
 
Here are a few samples from cases a1 , a2 and b.







No comments:

Post a Comment